Information on Marijuana for Medical Use in New Mexico
With the passage of the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act in July of 2007, New Mexico became the 12th state to approve medical marijuana. Information on the law can be found at the New Mexico Department of Health’s Medical Cannabis Program page (all the necessary forms for your application are also available there via download), but here is some general info on the medical marijuana law in New Mexico:
- To be approved to use medical cannabis by the program, you must suffer from one or more of sixteen eligible conditions. Please note that having one of these conditions does not automatically qualify you for the program; you must still go through the application process.
- You must get certification from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner, attesting that you do suffer from one of the eligible conditions and that traditional medical therapies are ineffective.
- For certain conditions, you will need certification from two physicians—a general practitioner, and a specialist in the area of your particular condition. Albuquerque Integrative Medicine can serve as either your primary or your specialist certification, depending on your needs and conditions. We are specialists in chronic pain and pain management, which is applicable for many of the eligible patients.
- Once your application has been approved by the state, and you receive your ID card from the state, you can then legally possess up to 6 ounces of cannabis.
- You may also apply for a personal production license, which, if approved, allows you to possess up to 16 cannabis plants, no more than 4 of which can be mature. Personal production licenses do not allow you to sell or give away cannabis in any quantity.
- You cannot obtain medical cannabis from the physicians who have certified your application. Once you are enrolled in the program, the state will provide you with a list of approved non-profit suppliers.
For more info on medical marijuana, please visit the New Mexico Medical Cannabis Program’s FAQ page.
At Albuquerque Integrative Medicine (AIM), we are happy to answer any questions you may have about medical cannabis, and can provide you with ample information on marijuana for medical use.
Please call us today at 505-570-5447 for answers to all your medical marijuana information questions.